1) To administrate the creation, implementation and oversight of all conference call meetings from the Gamblers Anonymous website. These meetings will be sanctioned by Gamblers Anonymous , but will not carry the distinction of being classified as a group, as per the Guidance Code.
2) To formulate, implement and maintain rules and procedures covering all aspects of the telephone conference call meetings, with Board of Trustee approval.
3) To be responsible for coordinating the Gamblers Anonymous members who will administrate the individual telephone conference call meetings.
4) To actively seek out any known phone meetings and try to assist in making them compliant with current rules and procedures covering all aspects of the telephone conference call meetings. Make changes to such procedures whenever necessary, with Board of Trustee approval.
5) Look at other platforms being used and make changes to the rules and procedures covering all aspects of the telephone conference call meetings, with Board of Trustee approval.
Board of Trustees Chair Liaison: Andy R.
Chair of the Committee: Jeanne B. – Area 8A
Co-Chair of the Committee: Steve T. – Area 15
Use this email address to contact the Chair of this committee firstname.lastname@example.org
The committee is NOT open to additional members.
Committee Admins are listed below, as of 9/13/17
Jeanne B. – 8A
Pete K. – 13B
Steve T. – 15
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Telephone Meeting Conference Calls That Comply With Board Of Trustees Guidelines
- All that is required is to dial into the conference call and use the conference ID# supplied on the meeting information page.
- There is no option to dial-in to a toll-free number. If this is of concern to you, then confirm with your cell phone provider about getting a plan with unlimited talk and text. If you are using a land line, it might make more sense to get a package for unlimited dialing.
- You do not provide any information, nor are you required to provide your phone number or email address. You dial into the system directly from whatever phone you choose and whatever location you wish.
- The meetings last a minimum of 1 hour, but can be longer based on the decisions of the meeting administrators, which would be outlined on the meeting information page.
- The conference call line opens 15 minutes before the start of the meeting and continues until the meeting is concluded. There are no restrictions on when anyone can call in.
- If no other meetings are scheduled that meet your requirements, you may want to start your own meeting. There are 168 hours in each week. If there is a time slot that is open, you can use that for your meeting.
- You must arrange for a minimum of 5 GA members who have the same qualifications as an International Trustee. That includes 2 years of abstinence and regular attendance at physical GA meetings. This group must agree on a day and time for their meeting and then submit their desired format to the Telephone Meeting Conference Call Committee for approval. Training for the website portal must be created before the meeting can begin and be listed on the ISO website.
- Only the 5 admins that are responsible for the specific telephone meeting following the telephone meeting conference call guidelines, can chair such meetings. A website interface is used for these meetings. All admins receive training in how to use this platform, so it is not feasible for other people to chair the meetings.
- Telephone meetings that comply with the Telephone Meeting Conference Call Committee guidelines will not have anniversary or birthday celebrations. The same applies to 90-day celebrations. This is due to the fact that the administrators run the meetings due to the complexity of the website interface. Traditionally, those who celebrate a special date, chair that meeting. Such situations would be unworkable, unless the person is a meeting admin. This also reinforces that telephone meetings are not meant to replace attendance at physical meetings.
- Telephone meeting conference calls are recognized as GA meetings, and subject to compliance with the Gamblers Anonymous Guidance Code.
- The telephone meetings are not considered groups, which means that do not have voting rights in issues relating to Gamblers Anonymous as a whole. Since they have no geographical affiliations, they are not part of any area or Intergroup.
- All telephone meetings approved for listing on the ISO website are open meetings. Anyone can attend, but only compulsive gamblers and those members who have a desire to stop gambling, will be allowed to speak. One other note, since the meetings are all open, there can be no assurance that all those attending the meeting are compulsive gamblers.
- Telephone meetings do not count toward any meeting requirements.
- Telephone meetings are deemed to be GA meetings, and all GA meetings must conform to the Guidance Code of Gamblers Anonymous. Only those telephone meetings that conform to the Telephone Meeting Conference Call guidelines will be listed on the ISO website.
- The meeting admins decide the format of the meeting when they put the meeting together. The major features are outlined on the meeting information page. If you are uncomfortable with the format of the meeting, you may find it better to choose another meeting that fits your needs.
- Under the meeting information for the meeting in question, there is a contact email. This address goes to one of the administrators who will arrange for any one who wishes information to have it sent to them or called if the person encloses their number.
- Anyone that wishes support between meetings can email the administrators using the link provided on the meeting information page. Also, those who wish toavail themselves to such members can indicate so, by emailing the administrators.
- If you would like to be added to the pool of people who wish to give support to those who ask for it in the meetings, use the contact email address for the meeting in question. Please indicate the following:
1) – that you wish to provide support.
2) – your date of abstinence. (we require at least 1 year)
3) – what physical meetings you attend. Please be aware that you must have a GA appropriate email address.
This is one that does not contain your last name and/or a domain address the gives contextual clues as to where you work or any organizations to which you belong. Remember that anonymity is not a choice, especially in matters involving the Fellowship regarding Unity Step 11. If you need assistance, contact the meeting admin.
- Telephone meetings are scheduled every week at the same designated time. The 5 assigned meeting admins rotate on a schedule determined by them. At least 2 admins take part in every meeting. Meetings that involve admins who are Trustees, may have to attend semi-annual Trustee meetings that conflict with the telephone meeting conference calls. Such occurrences will be listed on the meeting information page in advance.
- Although all telephone meetings are open to the public, people attending these meetings for their first exposure to Gamblers Anonymous, and believe they have a gambling problem, will be treated as new members. The administrators will ask if anyone is attending a Gamblers Anonymous meeting for the first time, not their first telephone meeting. Those who acknowledge will have time dedicated to answering the 20 questions.
- Telephone meeting conference calls are all open meetings, which means that anyone can attend, even those who have no connection to Gamblers Anonymous. However, in order to speak or give therapy, they must be a compulsive gambler or in the absence of that, have a desire to stop gambling in conformance with Unity Step 3.
- All questions can be directed to the Telephone Meeting Conference Call Committee Chair, by using this email address. email@example.com or simply paste this email address into an email and list your question(s). firstname.lastname@example.org